Straight from thirdfridaydurham.com:
- Paul Dean and Jim Kellough: Loose Diamonds & W O S @ The Scrap Exchange - The Green Gallery at the Scrap Exchange presents Paul Dean & Jim Kellough: Loose Diamonds & W O S. Check out this mixed media madness! Show runs from June 19 – July 11. OPENING on Third Friday June 19th from 6-9 pm, come and meet the artists!
- Jeff+King's MuSaIC/mOsaic @ CCB Plaza - Jeff+King will create a genre-bending ensemble of live music, while artist Jeannette Brossart invites you to participate in making a community mosaic.
- INDY Best of the Triangle 2009 Party @ Golden Belt - Check out our feature on this.
- Art Hanging Featuring the Works of Ethan Wenberg and Robert Fisher @ Kung Fu Tattoo - Food, music and of course great art, featuring two local artists: Ehtan Wenberg and Robert Fisher. Ethan's work ranges from the bizarre to the surreal. He is an illustrator working mostly in pen and ink. for a sampling. Robert Fisher is a Raleigh photographer who uses a variety of tools to capture and create. His most recent project blends language and art on a daily basis. Lots of food and drink including some of Carolina Brewing Company's finest.
- Running with Scissors & Under the Sun: 2 Exhibits opening @ Durham Arts Council - Running With Scissors is a collection of paper cut-out illustrations by Sherill Anne Gross, in the Allenton Gallery. Under the Sun is a collection of paintings by Miriam Sagasti in the Semans Gallery.
- Steven Foster Art Exhibit @ Broad Street Cafe - Stephen Foster has been painting abstract, gallery-ready work for over 7 years, with intermittant formal training. Most of his work is highly intuitive and relies on the shape/concept to emerge once the colors begin to hit the canvas. He works mostly in acryllics but also in oils and mixed media. Foster grew up in Burlington, NC, and is in the investment management business, which he says, "only pays the bills so I can paint." He has sold numerous abstract works--including web-based graphics--through his website. A portion of all art sales will be donated to local arts related organizations or a non-profit of the artist's choice. This month's artist has chosen Special Olympics as the recipient.
- Open Studios / Jeff Mahorney paintings in foyer gallery @ Bull City Arts Collaborative - Daily Paintings by Jeff Mahorney. From the artist's statement: "My paintings are my practice. They are my dedication to developing my eyes. I’m just trying to see the color truth of what’s in front of me. How much cooler, darker and colorful is the shadow side of that apple than its light side. It’s getting that color relationship right that gives a scene a true sense of light. That’s it." “Paint the truth and it will be beautiful.”—Charles Hawthorne. The exhibit will be up through June 26, and the foyer gallery is open every Friday from Noon-2.
- Carl Chiarenza, PICTURES COME FROM PICTURES: Selected Photographs 1955 - 2007 @ Through This Lens - A sampling of prints from over 50 years of picture making, Carl Chiarenza's abstract images explore the properties of transformation inherent in the photographic process. Chiarenza's artistry is truly impressive. We're thrilled to be able to share with you work from this modern master whose pieces are in the permanent collections of public institutions worldwide, including Museum of Modern Art, New York; National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; International Center of Photography, New York; George Eastman House, Rochester; Art Institute of Chicago; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris; and the Ackland Art Museum in our own backyard of Chapel Hill.